死亡诗社Dead Poets Society(2):那些诗

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute.
我们读诗写诗,非为它的灵巧
We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race...
我们读诗写诗
因为我们是人类的一员
and the human race is filled with passion.
而人类充满了热情
And medicine, law, business, engineering...
医药,法律,商业,工程
these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life.
这些都是高贵的理想
并且是维生的必需条件
But poetry, beauty... romance, love...
但是诗,美,浪漫,爱
these are what we stay alive for.
这些才是我们生存的原因

“O me, O life of the questions
of these recurring...
“啊!我!”
“这个问题不断重演的生命”
of the endless trains
of the faithless...
“在戴运无信者的绵延车厢中”
of cities filled with the foolish.
“在充满愚人的城市之中”
What good amid these
“身处其中的意义为何?”
O me, O life?”
“啊!我!啊!生命!”

I went to the woods
我步入丛林
because I wanted to live deliberately,
因为我希望生活有意义
I wanted to live deep
我希望活得深刻
and suck out all the marrow of life,
吸取生命中的所有精华
把非生命的一切都击溃
and not when I had come to die,
以免当我生命终结
discover that I had not lived.
却发现自己从未活过

Just when you think you know something,
you have to look at it in another way.
当你认为你知道某件事时
必须再以不同角度看它

Even though it may seem silly
or wrong, you must try!
即使那看来似乎愚笨或错误
你们都必须试试

Now, when you read, don't just consider
what the author thinks...
当你阅读时
别只想到作者的见解

consider what you think.
想想你的见解

Boys, you must strive to find
your own voice.
孩子们,你们必须…
努力寻找自己的声音

Because the longer you wait to begin,
the less likely you are
to find it at all.
因为你等候起步的时间愈长
便愈不可能找到它

Thoreau said, “Most men lead lives
of quiet desperation.”
梭罗说“大多数人都生活在平静的绝望中”

Don't be resigned to that.
Break out!
别听任此事发生
要突破!

Don't just walk off the edge
like lemmings. Look around you.
别像旅鼠般盲目由崖边跳下
环顾四周

没有评论: